We love our travels in America and along the way we found this fantastic recipe we have adapted to be Dairy Free and include ingredients that are available in UK.
I hope you also enjoy our new recipe layout. It’s just a number or improvements we making to the blog for 2019.
Dairy Free – Country-Fried Chicken With Country Gravy Recipe
For The Chicken
- 2 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Ground black pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Dried oregano
- 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 230g each or 8oz
- 250 ml Unsweetened soya milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 tbsp Table salt
- 180 g Self-Raising Flour
- 60 g Cornflour
- 950 ml Vegetable Oil For Frying
For The Gravy
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free Butter
- 1 Small Onion finely chopped
- 2 Medium Garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp Self-Raising Flour
- 250 ml Unsweetened soya milk
- 180 ml Dairy Free Cream Double if Available
- A Pinch Table salt and ground black pepper for taste
The chicken marinated
- We start with the chicken marinated getting your ingredients ready
- – Combine the paprika, black pepper, garlic powder and oregano in a small bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork.
- One at a time, sandwich each piece of chicken between two pieces of plastic cling film and pound with rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy saucepan until approximately 1/2 cm thick.
- Whisk the soya milk, egg, 1 tablespoon salt, and 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture in a large bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight, agitating occasionally to redistribute the contents and coat the chicken evenly.
The Country Gravy
- When ready to fry the chicken, make the gravy: start by getting your ingredients ready
- Heat the butter in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat until bubbling.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes (lower the heat if the butter starts to brown)
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until fully absorbed, about 1 minute
- Add the milk in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Add the cream, whisking, and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Simmer, whisking, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and plenty of pepper. Keep warm while you fry the chicken.
Chicken Batter and Frying
- When your just about ready to have dinner its time to do the final prep and cook. Get your ingredients ready
- Whisk together the flour, cornflour, 2 teaspoons salt and the remaining spice mixture in a large bowl
- Add 3 tablespoons of the marinade to the mix and work it into the flour with your fingertips
- .Remove the chicken from the bowl, allowing the excess milk to drip off. Drop the chicken into the flour mixture and toss and flip until thoroughly coated, pressing with your hand to get the flour to adhere in a thick layer. Shake the chicken over the bowl to remove excess flour, then transfer to a large plat
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to gas mark 2/150c. Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat, about 6 minutes. Adjust the heat as necessary to maintain the temperature, being careful not to let the fat get any hotter.
- Carefully lower 2 pieces of chicken into the pan. Fry the chicken pieces without moving them for 2 minutes. Carefully agitate the chicken with tongs, making sure not to knock off any breading, and cook until the bottom is a deep golden brown, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip the chicken and continue to cook until the second side is golden brown, about 2 minutes longer.
- transfer the chicken to a paper towel–lined plate to drain for 30 seconds, flipping once, then transfer to a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet and transfer to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 2 pieces of chicken. Serve with the cream gravy.
Check out some of our other dairy free recipes here